Case Study—Virginia Mason Medical Center
This assignment, you must read and analyze a Case Study about a major project to transform
safety, quality of care, and the patient experience at the Virginia Mason Medical Center in
Seattle, Washington. Dr. Gary Kaplan, the CEO of Virginia Mason, led the implementation of
the new management system, which was based on the Toyota Production System (TPS) – Lean
model. The new system was named the Virginia Mason Production System (VMPS).
In the paper, we will evaluate and analyze the challenges faced by Virginia Mason, assess the
advantages and disadvantages of the new approach, and describe the impact of VMPS on
patient services and the patient experience at Virginia Mason.
Follow all instructions as it asks you. Do not deviate.
Write a 6-to-8-page paper that analyzes the Virginia Mason Case Study.
Be sure to answer the questions below in your paper:
1. Describe two key challenges Dr. Kaplan faced in implementing VMPS at Virginia Mason.
Name two actions taken to overcome those challenges and implement the new system.
2. Articulate the value proposition guiding the decision to implement VMPS. Describe at
least two ways in which this approach adds value to patient services. Be specific with
your examples and justify your choices.
3. Identify and describe an unintended consequence of this effort – i.e., an outcome that
was not intended or foreseen. Was this consequence positive or negative?
4. In what ways was the new management system designed to improve the patient
experience? How far was VMPS successful in achieving this goal?
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins
on all sides.
• Include a Cover page containing the assignment title, student’s name, professor’s name,
course title, and date.
• Citations and references must follow the formatting instructions found in the JWMI
Writing Standards Guide. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Note: The Cover and References pages are not included in the required page length.