Examine the various types of Personal Health Records available for use.
Unit 9 Assignment: Developing a Personal Health Record
Unit outcome addressed in this Assignment:
- Examine the various types of Personal Health Records available for use.
- Educate consumers on patient-centered health information technologies such as patient portals, patient safety, patient education and the Personal Health Record.
Course outcomes assessed in this Assignment:
HI150-5: Examine future technologies important to the management of health information.
PC 3.2: Interact with others in a professional manner using appropriate communication and presentation skills.
GEL 6.02: Incorporate outside research into an original work appropriately.
You work for a local physicians’ office as the Office Manager/Biller. The physician group recently went live with their Electronic Health Record but at the time of implementation, there was not a patient portal available. The physician group has asked that you investigate and gather information in order to provide their patients with an option for a personalized health record. What are the options? What are the costs? What should the patient’s chart information include? Are there any options available at no cost?
The physician group has asked that you present your findings in the form of a PowerPoint presentation at their next group meeting. In preparation, you must research information on accessing patient portals and personal health records. Distinguish the key components in your educational PowerPoint presentation.
Develop a PowerPoint presentation (10-14 slides) outlining the results of your research and the various options available. Include the components below and as noted above.
- Review the AHIMA website article: Defining the Personal Health Record
- Review additional “related content” links found on the right side of webpage above
- What is a PHR? How is it used?
- What are the options in creating a PHR? What formats can it take?
- Are there any options now available through other vendors?
- Document your findings including your choice of format, what the requirements are, how to populate the information, etc.
Include speaker notes for each slide to explain what is being discussed in the bullet points as though you are presenting to the physician group.
You may consult the Purdue Global Online Library, the Internet, the textbook, other course material, and any other outside resources such as AHIMA.org in supporting your task, using proper citations in APA style.
PowerPoint Formatting Directions:
- Use one basic slide design and layout.
- Limit slides to between 6 and 8 lines of content.
- You may use pictures, charts and graphs to supplement your material as long as they do not take up the entire slide.
- Use bullets for your main points.
- The presentation should contain a cover slide and a list of references in APA format.
- All internal citation of outside sources plus the listing of all references should also adhere to APA format.
Save your Assignment in the following format: Last name First Name Assignment. (Example: SmithJohn_Unit9_Assignment).
- Submit completed table and narrative in the Unit 9 Assignment Dropbox
Be sure to utilize the resources within Academic Tools to assist you with meeting APA expectations for written Assignments.
Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful. Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics. Furthermore, all sources used should be properly cited using APA formatting.