Family and Medical Leave Act and Core HR Functions
Assessment 1 Instructions: Family and Medical Leave Act and Core HR Functions
Prepare a 5-6 page white paper designed to educate HR staff on how to use employee-centered approaches to mitigate the negative effects of FMLA that have affected both teamwork and a core function of the HR department.
FMLA impacts both teamwork and many of the core functions of HR. A key to both positive and negative consequences of the FMLA is inevitably dependent upon a positively involved staff whose values are reflected in the implementation of the practices and policies of an organization.
FMLA provides legal and regulatory guidance for the administration of a specific area of employee benefits. The act essentially entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons.
The Need for Teamwork
The act allows 12 work weeks of leave in a 12-month period. Job responsibilities and duties of an employee taking leave under provisions of the FMLA remain, and must be absorbed by others. This requires teamwork and sacrifice on the part of coworkers.
Employee-Centered Health Care Organization
An employee-centered health care organization will explore ways and means of accomplishing necessary changes to achieve the following:
- Meet legal requirements.
- Align with the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Be sensitive to the need for a safe and secure work environment.
- Promote employee morale.
- Support fairness in the workplace.
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
- What are the benefits of an employee-centered approach to human capital management in a health care organization and the population it serves?
- How does an organization’s social justice practices impact employee commitment and patient care?
- How do employee-centered health care organizations integrate patient-centered approaches with employee-centered approaches?
- What is an example of a health care organization’s mission, vision, and value statement?
Prepare a 5–6 page analysis on how FMLA has affected both teamwork and your selected function of an HR department. You must include both positive and negative consequences of the act as well as recommendations to mitigate negative effects of the act on teamwork, using an employee-centered approach.
The health care ecosystem is experiencing considerable change, affecting an organization’s departmental operations, management processes and functions, and customer interactions (at varying velocities, depending on their services and markets), elevating the importance of an employee-centered culture to the top of the list of strategic imperatives for many.
You have been asked to help educate a group of colleagues in the HR department in the form of a white paper that will become part of the in-service training resources for the department. Your white paper will examine the impact of relevant elements of the FMLA on teamwork and a core function of an HR department from an employee-centered perspective.
Identify a health care organization this deliverable supports. Choose a setting you currently work in, or one you would like to eventually work in. Select one of the following HR functions:
Use the Capella University Library and professional or academic resources on the Internet to research the following topics:
- Effect of FMLA on both teamwork and your chosen function.
- Employee-centered approaches to human capital management.
- Mission, vision, and values of your selected health care organization. Note: If you are unable to find a mission or vision statement on the organization’s website, find a similar health care organization that does.
Your white paper should include the following elements:
- A brief description of the health care organization setting this white paper supports.
- An analysis of the effect of FMLA on both teamwork and your chosen function in this setting.
- A definition of employee-centered approaches.
- A discussion on how the human capital management strategies related to your chosen HR function align (or might not align) with the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- A discussion of how the actions and consequences of these strategies affect employee satisfaction, for both an individual and on members of their team.
- A recommendation of two employee-centered strategies that HR managers could employ to successfully mitigate the negative effects of the act on teamwork.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Your assessment artifacts should be professionally written in a form and style appropriate for the various stakeholders. Consider the purpose of the document, its intended use, and the setting in which your plan will be presented.
- APA format: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and formatting standards.
- Number of resources: Include a minimum of three resources.
- Page length: 5–6 pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Develop a comprehensive human capital strategy to support an employee-centered health care organization.
- Discuss the alignment of human capital management strategies with a health care organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Recommend employee-centered strategies to mitigate human resource challenges introduced by FMLA.
- Competency 2: Analyze the core function of human capital management in a health care organization.
- Analyze the impact of FMLA on teamwork within a core human resource function.
- Competence 3: Examine the relationship between the work environment and employee satisfaction.
- Explain how a human resource strategy impacts employee satisfaction.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in health care administration.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in an appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.