What impact or influence does spirituality have in the individual’s life or relationships?
Part 1 (of 2): The Interview:
This week, interview someone about his/her religious journey. You might interview someone from your workplace, in your own family, or a colleague you know from school.
Here are the rules you need to follow to do this process respectfully:
1. Only ask open-ended questions. Do not ask judgmental questions.
2. Start your question with the word “describe” or “explain.”
3. Be respectful of a person’s answers no matter how strange or unusual they may seem. This is the core of a person’s journey in many cases.
4. Avoid curiosity and instead ask for stories that the person is interested in sharing.
5. You may do this online or in person.
6. Create an atmosphere of care, compassion, and genuine interest.
Here are the questions you can ask:
1. Tell me about a religious experience you have had that made you who you are today.
2. Could you tell me a story or two that might attempt to describe your understanding of an Ultimate Reality or a higher power?
3. What might you tell other people about your religious or spiritual experience that is most important to know?
Submit a 2-3 page summary of the interview you have conducted. Be sure to connect ideas and themes raised by the interviewee to concepts you have encountered in the readings for this class. How does the person you interview understand Ultimate Reality? What impact or influence does spirituality have in the individual’s life or relationships? How do the responder’s answers compare to ideas raised by thinkers you have encountered in course readings? Be sure to provide specific quotations from the interviewee’s answers to support your assessment.
Part 2 (of 2): Diverse Communication: Reflect on the religious and philosophical systems that we have studied so far; in 1-2 pages explain how understanding diverse philosophical or religious systems can improve communication between people of different backgrounds. Please compare two or more different religious or philosophical systems and provide details on how understanding diverse philosophical systems can improve communication between people of different backgrounds. Present conclusions about the connection between understanding diverse philosophical systems and communication between people and groups.