What’s the reason the earthquake occurred at this location on the Earth?
Chapter 10: Earthquakes Hazards
Earthquakes are a vital part of understanding how the Earth’s surface is in constant motion or under constant pressure to move. If you’ve been in an earthquake, you probably remember all the details – it’s a weird and rather unpleasant experience.
I remember the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 in San Francisco. Check out some footage here:
1. What was the most striking part of the videos for you? (2 points)
2. Why do you think people live there? Would you? Is it different than living with other natural disasters, like flooding or blizzards? (3 points)
Earthquakes are actually occurring constantly all around the globe – some big, mostly small.
3. Go to the USGS website that has information about earthquakes (earthquake.usgs.gov), and choose one earthquake that occurred in the last 24 hours. (3 points)
4. What are the relevant details? (include time, location, magnitude, depth, and event ID). (3 points)
5. Include a map of the location (from another source, tell me where). (3 points)
6. Did this earthquake affect a lot of people? Why or why not? (2 points)
7. Was it reported in any newspapers? Why or why not? (2 points)
8. Explain why an earthquake would occur here.
a. What’s the reason the earthquake occurred at this location on the Earth? (use at least two terms from the text) (2 points)
b. Are you surprised that an earthquake occurred here? Why or why not? (2 points)
c. Include a graphic (and where you got it) of the process that created this earthquake. (3 points)