Discussion: Organizations Influencing Health Policy
Read over the list of Key Organizations on the NICHSR website. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/hsrph.html
Using the website above, select an organization from each of the three categories:
- Federal Agencies,
- Association and Organizations,
- International Organizations, Associations
that has a role in influencing health policy. For each of your three chosen sites, describe the organization’s chief purpose and give one example of a policy it has influenced. (Hint: visit the organization’s website.)
HSRIC. (n.d.). Key organizations. NIH, National Library of Medicine.
Week 1: Required Readings
- Bodenheimer & Grumbach,
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Blumenthal, D. (2006, July, 6). Employer-sponsored health insurance in the United States — origins and implications. The New England Journal of Medicine, 355(1). (Library Link)
- Familiarize yourself with:
HSRIC. (n.d.). the National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology(NICHSR). NIH, National Library of Medicine.
Study these key timelines in Health Care:
- Healthcare-Now! (n.d.). History of Single-Payer Legislation.
(review timeline chart)
- Institute of Healthcare Improvement. (n.d.). History of the IHI.
(review timeline chart at bottom of article)