Growing Up Poor In America
Extra Credit Assignment Instructions:
Watch the documentary film Growing Up Poor In America (PBS Frontline)
Write your response in no less than 400 words.
Complete these steps:
1. Watch the documentary. Take notes (create notes to best answer the questions below)
2. Briefly summarize the film.
· What was the topic?
· What evidence did producers provide to convince the audience that growing up poor in America is a social problem?
3. Did you find the documentary convincing?
· if yes, which examples were compelling to you?
· if not, what questions did the film not address or what facts do you think contradicted the film?
4. Which social structures does the film discuss? (i.e. institutions or organizations).
5. Which cultural structures does the film discuss? (i.e. groups of people and related beliefs and practices).
6. Name one thing you learned about the consequences of growing up poor in America that you did not know before viewing the film.