ECE Careers and Dispositions
Wadlington and Wadlington (as cited in Estes & Krogh, 2012) explain, “Because of the strong connection between dispositions and teaching styles, it is desirable for individuals in the midst of becoming teachers to reflect and develop self-awareness of their own dispositions” (p. 33). Subsequently, knowing which career you want to pursue is an important first step to tackling your job search and career goals. Exploring the requirements for your potential career path, assessing your current skill set, and identifying what action steps you can take to make your career goals more attainable is the purpose for this discussion.
To prepare for this discussion, reread the list of dispositions associated with effective teachers discussed in Chapter 2 (Table 2.1) and Chapter 10. Also view the video or read the description below the video, I Am a Teacher (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Lastly, read the Career Planning Step-by-Step (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. article to better understand the importance of developing a clear career plan.
Once you are prepared, use the My Dispositions Target (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (Figure 2.1) from your text to organize and record the initial analysis of your dispositions.
- Describe which of the dispositions from your target you already exhibit on a regular basis. Also, discuss which dispositions are still emerging for you.
- Based on the discussion of career options in Chapter 10, identify at least two possible careers that interest you and that are a “good fit” based on your personal disposition reflection, as well as the qualifications you already possess. Explain why you would be a good fit for both of your chosen careers.
- Identify your long-term goals. Where would you like to be professionally, one to five years from now?
- Reflect on the following:
- What new skills, dispositions, knowledge, certifications, or trainings might you need to be successful? Identify the additional action steps you will need to take to be even more qualified for the position you would like to pursue. Set reasonable deadlines for these action steps.
- Are there any professional obstacles you may need to overcome to be successful? Are there individuals in your professional network who can help you?
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ posts, and respond to at least two of your peers. In your responses, provide feedback on your peer’s career plan and at least one suggestion to further assist your peer in tackling his or her career plan.