PH 3120 Introduction to Epidemiology
Group Project #5
The purpose of this assignment is for each group to write a summary describing their systematic review of the specific research question identified in GP#1. There is no page limitation, however the paper should have the following 5 sections: Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion and References. This assignment is worth 50 points.
The five parts that will be evaluated for this assignment are as follows:
· Introduction. This section should include the research question, hypothesis of the group and any definitions of the disease or exposure. Background information on the disease would be appropriate here as well (5 points).
· Methods. This section should describe the process of how original peer reviewed research articles were selected. The flow chart, key words and details of exclusions should be included. Each student in the group will identify three original research articles that address the research question that the student group is evaluating for causality. The quality criteria checklist should also be utilized and discussed (15 points)
· Results. This section should include a Table of Evidence that summarizes each of the original research articles. The headings for each column should include those described in class. The table must for formatted and in a readable font (no smaller than 9-point font and all columns on the same page). The students may use a Word or Excel table, however a written summary referencing the table should be included (15 points). For up to an additional 10 points, a forest plot and explanation of results from the forest plot can be included.
· Discussion. A discussion section should be provided that states the conclusions the group has drawn regarding the research questions and why. Students should also include a strengths and limitation section summarizing the overall strengths and limitation of original research included in the systematic review (10 points).
· References. Each paper should include a reference section of all the original research articles as well as any other articles cited in the paper. When an original article is referenced in the summary, the students should use the American Public Health Association style. The references should be numbered sequentially in the text and should appear as follows in the reference section: 1. Morland KB, Evenson KR. Obesity prevalence and the local food environment. Health and Place 2009;15:491-495 (PMID 19022700) (5 points).