State a description of the Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition.
Childhood Research Report Requirements:
A. Name of Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition: Identify name, common and medical terms used.
· State a description of the Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition.
· What is the causative agent? (name of pathogen, risk factors, behaviors)
· What is/are the mode(s) of transmission? How does the disease/Illness/Condition develop?
· What are the signs? (objective indicator(s), measurable, visible signs of illness such as rash, fever, bleeding, and/or the behavior)
· What are the symptoms? (subjective indicators of illness usually difficult to measure such as pain, fatigue, weakness, restlessness)
· Incubation period of disease? (time between pathogen entering system/body and the appearance of signs/symptoms).
· Communicable/Contagious period? (time period in which the disease can be spread from one person to another)
C. Incidence and Prevalence: Provide the incidence and prevalence of the Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition. Are the numbers increasing or decreasing? Are there any trends?
· Are there treatments available?
· What is the treatment?
· Where and how is the Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition treated?
· Discuss preventative measures that can be taken.
F. Community Impact:
· What is being done at the federal, state, and community level to prevent and treat this disease.
· Are there any community, school, research programs in place?
G. Implications for the Educator/Teacher:
· What types of actions/adjustments will a teacher in the school setting need to make for a child with the Disease/Illness/Disorder/Health Condition?
· Prevention: How could the school or classroom teacher prevent transmission?
· Classroom Environment: What modifications might be required?
· Adaptations of the curriculum: What types of curriculum changes will the teacher make for a student(s) with this disease/health condition?