Analyze independent and collaborative roles of the professional counselor.
Access the “Counselor Ethical Boundaries and Practices Assignment Guidelines.” Complete the project according to the assignment guidelines.
Include at least six scholarly resources in addition to the textbook in your paper.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
MS Addiction Counseling; MS Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
1.2: Analyze independent and collaborative roles of the professional counselor.
2.1: Evaluate elements of counselor-client relationships within the practice of professional counseling, focusing on professional ethical standards.
5.2: Recognize the importance of establishing and maintaining appropriate professional boundaries.
This assignment meets the following NASAC Standards:
20) Understand the addiction professional’s obligation to adhere to generally accepted ethical and behavioral standards of conduct in the helping relationship.
21) Understand the importance of ongoing supervision and continuing education in the delivery of client services.
35) Seek appropriate supervision and consultation.
47) Inform the client of his/her confidentiality rights, program procedures that safeguard them, and the exceptions imposed by statute.
65) Apply confidentiality-related legal restrictions appropriately.
66) Demonstrate respect and nonjudgmental attitudes toward the client in all contacts with other professionals or agencies.
110) Protect client rights to privacy and confidentiality in the preparation and handling of records, especially in relation to the communication of client information with third parties.
112) Prepare and record treatment and continuing care plans that are consistent with agency standards and comply with applicable administrative rules.
116) Demonstrate ethical behaviors by adhering to established professional codes of ethics that define the professional context within which the counselor works, in order to maintain professional standards and safeguard the client.
118) Adhere to federal and state laws, and agency regulations, regarding addictions treatment.
120) Utilize a range of supervisory options to process personal feelings and concerns about clients.
121) Conduct culturally appropriate self-evaluations of professional performance, applying ethical, legal, and professional standards to enhance self-awareness and performance.
122) Obtain appropriate continuing professional education.
123) Assess and participate in regular supervision and consultation sessions.
124) Develop and utilize strategies to maintain physical and mental health.