Discuss one (1) sociological theory that relates to the selected contributing factor to obesity
Obesity in America is considered an epidemic. There are many contributing factors to obesity (both childhood and adult), such as biological, environmental, social, or economic factors. Review the information on obesity in your textbook.
- “Obese Third Grader Taken From Mom, Placed in Foster Care” located at
- National Institute of Health: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s Obesity page located at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe
Write a two to three page (2-3) page essay in which you:
- Discuss one (1) sociological theory that relates to the selected contributing factor to obesity. See “Sociological Perspectives on Health and Healthcare” located in Instructor’s Insights.
- Select one (1) contributing factor to childhood or adult obesity. Recommend two (2) preventative measures related to the selected factor that people can take in order to reduce their chance of becoming obese.
- After watching the video, do you think children should be taken away from parents if they are overweight or obese? Describe the effect that obesity (childhood and / or adult) has had on you personally or your community.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- To keep this essay short and manageable, your only sources for the essay should be the articles above and the sections noted in your text. APA citations are required for this assignment.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Define the basic concepts used in the discipline of sociology.
- Explain the major theoretical paradigms of sociology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology.
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology using proper writing mechanics.