Gender Influences In Relationships
Assignment: Gender Influences in Relationships
A person’s relationships are usually significant contributors to his or her life happiness, well-being, and mental health throughout the life span. At each stage of life, different levels and types of relationships are developed, nurtured, and in some cases, terminated. Relationships are complicated and though there may be norms within specific cultures for relationships these norms may be changing.
Think about how technology has changed the process of dating and forming intimate relationships. Do online dating sites increase or decrease the common sexual scripts, or norms that men and women have traditionally held in relationship formation and sexual interactions (e.g., men initiate, women react). Also, think about how recent sensations such as the “50 Shades of Grey” phenomenon may result in changing images of female sexuality and what are considered acceptable sexual processes. Do you think these are positive changes?
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review Chapter 9 & 10 in the course text, Gender: Psychological Perspectives. Focus on the gender-related differences and similarities in the different levels and types of relationships: friendship, love, dating, marriage and committed relationships, and dissolution of relationships.
- Review the articles, “’Double Crap!’ Abuse and Harmed Identity in Fifty Shades of Grey”, “’Where Have All the Good Men Gone?’ Gendered Interactions in Online Dating”, and “Tinder and the Dawn of the ‘Dating Apocalypse’.”
The assignment (3–pages):
- Discuss what have been the traditional expectations for men and women in dating relationships and sexual behavior according to the Week’s Resources and your own research.
- Then, discuss how these roles may be affected by the current popularity of online dating sites and images of sexuality portrayed in current literature and other media forms.
- Explain how these changing roles may impact individuals and society.
- Discuss your thoughts on whether these changing roles will lead to an increase or decrease in gender differences in intimate relationships, and why or why not.
Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources, including in-text citations. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.